The Economics Undergraduate Academic Advisors are available for walk-in advising any time the office is open. You may direct your questions about courses, requirements, schedules, substitutions, and petitions to the undergraduate advisors or the peer advisors.

​Our Services

Professional and peer advisors in economics can help answer academic questions regarding the economics majors.  Some common reasons for seeking advising assistance include, but are not limited, to:

  • Understanding how to apply to the economics major, and the degree requirements
  • Course selection, planning and enrollment in economics courses
  • Enrichment opportunities such as research, internships, honors program, or study abroad
  • Clarification of department policies and procedures

Office Location
North Hall 2121
8:00 AM-12:00 PM, 1:00 PM -​ 4:00 PM

Contact Information
(805) 893-2981

Make sure to provide all of the following in your email:

* Full name
* Perm
* Major
* Full explanation of your question

Students should address questions about general education and university requirements to the College of Letters and Science advising office, 1117 Cheadle Hall, (805) 893-2038.

Registration Process

All students should register for classes through the University's GOLD System. The quarterly Schedule of Classes provides details regarding registration procedures.

Students must complete all the prerequisites and obtain full-major status prior to enrolling in any upper- division Economics courses. Economics course prerequisites are enforced and no exceptions will be granted.

Students who are declared in other majors and need an upper-division Economics class should contact the Economics undergraduate office prior to the beginning of the quarter.

Please check the quarterly Schedule of Classes for deadlines and/or changes in the registration process.

Peer Advisors

The department sponsors a peer advising program throughout the academic year. Outstanding upper-division students are employed and trained to offer assistance in many areas. Peer advisors are students who value community service and demonstrate an enthusiasm for the Department of Economics and the majors available within it. Requests for resumes are sent via the listserv.

Transferable Courses

Transfer students wishing to substitute courses from other schools for major requirements should bring a copy of their official transcripts showing transferable work. Students should also send a copy of their official transcript to the UCSB Registrar's Office, Attn. Kevin Scott.

Lastly, if you are an international student, please make sure you contact the Office of International Students and Scholars attend one of their orientations for new students. Please refer to their web page:

You may also want to contact the College of Letters and Science at 805-893-2038 or to see about scheduling an on-line orientation.

We hope this answers many of your questions. If not, please send an email with your name and perm number to We will be happy to answer your major questions!

If you are attending the International Student's Program, visit UCSB Extension's webpage and our ISP webpage.